Welcome to the last day of the quarter… What do you need? You need a workout of the day. Corona or no Corona, staying fit and focused is key to mental and physical health. What’s more, wouldn’t you want to come out of this with a ripping six pack? Better yet, a positive outlook and a healthy spirit? Let’s get started on some speed-developing training ideas.
- Jump Rope – a classic, and one of the best workouts you can do! Go fast, and swing hard. Don’t get discouraged if the ropes hit your back or you miss a beat. Just keep after it!
- Butt Kick Jumps – imagine trying to knock your heels against your butt; that’s what you’re trying to do with this exercise. Be sure to do the jump rope exercise first, as these can stress out your quads.
- Squat Jumps – we love these… Get in to a squat position and jump, and then jump again. Lift your legs to your chest as you jump if you want extra credit.
- Block Jumps – (you will need a box to jump on, or a picnic table seat)… Easy exercise and very effective. Take a strong stance and then jump on to the box (or alternative box). Make sure you land as close to the balance point of the box, so you don’t wreck your shins. Stay focused on the landing. I usually step off one leg at a time – saves my knees.
- Jumping Jacks – Ooo… Another classic! Place your feet / arms close together while standing up. Extend your arms / legs (like a jack) and then bring them back together. This sets you up for the next exercise.
- 100 Meter Sprint – head to your local high school track and start running! Or, if you’re not close to a high school or can’t get to one, 100 meters is easy to assess. Simply walk 110 normal steps and you’re pretty close (maybe 130 if you’re below 5’4″).